Canada Permanent Residency is offered to Overseas Immigrants once they meet the minimum eligibility criteria set by the Canadian Immigration Government. This visa is mostly applicable when the visa holder travels outside Canada. To re-enter the country, the Permanent Resident Visa is a must.
Canada’s flexible immigration policies, Occupation opportunities, Social and democratic values attract huge number of Overseas Immigrants to apply for the Canada Permanent Resident Visa. Below are the listed programs via which one can apply for permanent residency-
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Skilled Immigrants Program
- Quebec Skilled Workers Program
- Sponsorship Program
Provincial Nominee Program:
In this particular program, an applicant seeks nomination directly from the states. Every state has its own criteria and minimum points to invite aspirants. For e.g. Manitoba at 60 points, Saskatchewan at 60 and Quebec invites single applicant at 50 and Married at 59. Likewise, the minimum eligibility points and Occupation existing guides applicants to apply via PNP.
In this particular program, the probability to get PR increases as provinces generally welcomes high number of applications due to Labor Market needs and population disparity in most of the states.
PNP program is for Overseas Immigrants who have received a nomination from one of the 10 provinces of Canada. Various stages comprise the below steps –
- Immigrants must apply to the province where they want to live
- The application will be reviewed based on province-specific criteria and whether the candidate really wants to live in that territory
- Once nomination certificate is received, the candidate must apply to Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- IRCC officers will review the application
- Passing a medical exam and police verification check is mandatory
- Once approved, the candidate will receive Canada Permanent Resident Visa
Skilled Immigrants Program:
One of the most popular pathways to attain Canada Permanent Resident Visa, as quoted by The Hindu. Overseas Immigrants are assessed based on the following factors –
- Work experience
- English/ French language skills
- Adaptability (Bonus points)
The Express Entry System enables skilled Immigrants to apply for the Canada Permanent Resident Visa. Candidates need to do the following in order to apply for this program:
- Check Eligibility
- Provide the language test score
- Provide Educational credential assessment
- Provide relevant documents
It takes six months or less to process the application under the Express Entry System.
Quebec Skilled Workers Program:
The province of Quebec has its own criteria for inviting permanent residents. The province has agreement with Federal Government as per the manpower requirements and shortlists applications to contribute to their economy. The candidate must apply for Certificate of Selection.
Once approved, they can apply for Canada Permanent Resident Visa to IRCC. Medical exam and Police Verification are mandatory.
Immigrants, who are 18 years old and are Permanent Residents of Canada, can sponsor certain relatives. However, the below criteria must be met –
- Relative should be their dependent child
- Their spouse
- Common law partner
Benefits of Canada Permanent Resident Visa:
Immigrants get the following benefits when they attain Permanent Residency in Canada –
- They can apply for Canadian Citizenship
- They can avail of health care and other social benefits
- They can live, work or study anywhere in Canada
Mandatory documents for Canada Permanent Resident Visa:
Candidates must present below documents as part of the application process –
- Educational credential assessment (ECA)
- Valid Language test results
- Educational certificates
- Personal identification documents
- Proof of funds